Friday, July 31, 2009

Who is Listening?

In the flurry of personal life I have been a little lax about my blogging. But at least one of my personal distractions may have something to teach us about sound and sense.

I am pregnant!

Obviously I am filled with all kinds of feelings about being a mother and my identity in general. And I strive to fully comprehend what my body and my baby are going through by paying close attention to everything I can sense. My pregnancy calendar tells me that my baby can sense me, too! About midway through pregnancy the baby can hear the mother's heart, stomach, and her voice.

I have become very aware of how I use my voice and what my tone conveys. When I yell at my cats (sometimes they deserve it) I feel a little bad. But when I sing while I am doing chores, I imagine that I am bonding with my baby. I am telling it something about myself.

Sometimes it's not about what you are saying, it's about how you say it. And sometimes the only way to say something is out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment